The Flavour Profile
This coffee consists of cinnamon, toffee, marzipan, almond and fresh bread notes. This coffee is a robust all-round with medium to full body and suitability for any type of extraction. We love its toffee notes and the fact it's easy to drink at any time of the day thanks to being Decaf.
The Little Details
This coffee comes from Nueva Esperanza farm in La Concordia, Chiapas, Mexico. It's grown 1200 - 1500 meters above sea level. It's drawn from Typica, Catuai, red and yellow caturra varietal coffee beans.
About the process:
The raw, unroasted coffee is moistened with water and put into a vessel where it is brought into contact with pressurised, liquid carbon dioxide. By circulation through the coffee, the carbon dioxide draws the caffeine out of the bean. In an evaporator, the caffeine precipitates out from the CO2 which, after evaporation and recondensation, is pumped again into the vessel containing the coffee for a new cycle. When the required residual caffeine level is reached, the CO2 circulation is stopped and the coffee is discharged into a drier where it is gently dried until it reaches the original moisture content. The coffee is then ready for roasting.
The specific characteristics of the CR3 Natural Liquid Carbon Dioxide Coffee Decaffeination Process are:
• The compounds responsible for the flavour and the taste in the roasted and brewed coffee, as well as the cell structure of the green and roasted bean, are left essentially intact. This is of clear benefit in fine, high-grade coffees.
• No health risk involved since the coffee is placed in contact with only 100% safe substances – the chemically-inert (and completely evaporating) carbon dioxide, and pure water.
• The extraction solvent is all-natural – an important aspect that represents a strong selling point (“Naturally Decaffeinated”)
• Certification as Organic and Kosher by the appropriate organisations/authorities
• A broad appeal that allows the roaster to offer a high-quality 99.9% caffeine-free decaffeinated coffee that will satisfy even the most discriminating taste.